Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Business Etiquette Fundamentals

Call me old fashioned. Even though this post is going to date me I can't stop myself from writing it. When I went to elementary school I was taught spelling, grammar and punctuation. Then in middle school I learned the appropriate way to write a business or personal letter. In college I studied business etiquette and ethics in my marketing and advertising classes.

I feel like upcoming generations will not know it is not ok to text in a meeting. They won't truly respect or understand the importance of appropriate sentence structure, good grammar or spelling. U no wat im sayin? LOL!!! How can they learn to read voice tone, non verbal cues and facial expressions when their preferred method of communication is texting? Each generation is more technologically savvy than its predisessor. More is expected of them. They have more demand on their time. They will be far more advanced in so many ways. Yet the come so unprepared because in the business world technology is critical; but it will never replace the human relationship side.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, you are right on the mark! The generation that is just getting through our colleges and universities have a lot going for them. However, the perhaps extreme de-emphasising of the conventions of communication, the lack of interpersonal skills building, and the terribly rude (no other way to put it) use of personal communication devices have really put a challenge on today's society and individual enterprises. In order to bring out the best and brightest skill sets of thes extremely tech savvy young adults, the market place will have to learn to adapt to this new group of leaders as we teach this part of the population how to "do human stuff". Your posting is right on the mark regarding these challenges that are not in the future, but now!

    ReplyDelete